Highline College Students

Connect with Highline College

Summer and fall quarter enrollment has begun! See enrollment dates and class schedules.

July 2022 Blog Post

Home/Uncategorized/July 2022 Blog Post
2022-07-05T09:20:53+00:00 Print Page

July 2022 Blog Post

A Personal Summer Anthem

By Jamilyn Penn

I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music. -Billy Joel

Two things definitely make my lists of my favorites: music and sunshine. Combine the two, and I am a happy camper, for sure. I think that most of us agree that music is a powerful form of expression. It can affect how we feel, react, move, and encourage specific behavior. Music is a versatile tool that helps us to exercise freedom and artistic expressions. Most people can relate to music in some way. For example, we connect to a particular song for one reason or another. Music can lighten the mood when one is stressed out, invoke happiness, or cause multiple emotions to fire off all at once. We don’t just listen to music — sometimes we use it in our lives for strategic reasons, for example as a personal anthem on big days, or just simply to remind us who we are.

And then there is the season of summer. For me, summertime does not officially start until my personal summer anthem spins on a turntable or streams across the airwaves. I absolutely love the very first lyrics and beat of my personal summer anthem. It starts, “Drums, please.” Right away I am up and dancing, fingers popping, head bopping, shoulders and hips moving and grooving. I find myself singing the lyrics, too, “Cause it’s summer, summer, summertime.” My personal summer anthem is old school, cool, and lighthearted, which I find refreshing and necessary. And when I see the video of my personal summer anthem, it makes me giddy, and the “groove” which is “slightly transformed” reminds me to take “Just a bit of a break from the norm,” and find time to do something that brings me joy, “a little somethin’ to break the monotony” of studying or working, just for a little while. When I listen to my personal summer anthem, I am always reminded to “Think of summers of the past” when I intentionally took time to chill out with family and friends to do whatever made us connect and enjoy one another: having cookouts, playing sports, blowing bubbles with little kids, jumping rope double-dutch style, flirting with cutie pies, and plain ole having fun in the sun. My personal summer anthem evokes good feelings, makes me happy, and gets me smiling from ear-to ear. It’s the kind of anthem that makes me say loudly and boldly, “Okay, now! That’s. My. Song!” Have you already guessed my personal summer anthem? Well, if you haven’t figured it out by now, it’s none other than Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince. Yep, that’s the one!

There are a few songs that rival my personal summer anthem. They include, in no particular order, the following:

I really encourage you to listen to my personal summer anthem (which might be your personal summer anthem, too) or to any of the great songs listed above every chance that you get throughout the summer (and beyond). Also, when you have a moment or two, reach out and share your personal summer anthem with someone that you appreciate and challenge them to do the same. Sharing is caring, right? And, connecting with others, especially around universally adored and typically noncontroversial topics like music, helps to build community. Most of all, I encourage you to find some “Time to sit back and unwind.” It’s summertime. Have some fun!

Important Dates for Student Success

• July 4: Holiday
  • July 11: Last day to add a class without a Late Add Petition and late charge, unless otherwise posted in the schedule
  • July 11: Last day to drop a class without a “W” on transcript
  • July 12: Last day to request credit (CR), no credit (NC)
  • July 12: Last day for 40% refund
  • Registration for Fall quarter now!
  • Student Services Summer Hours:
    • Mon, Tue, Wed, Thur 8am-5pm
    • Financial Aid is closed on Wednesdays for processing

Student Services, Resource, and Activity Highlight

• Apply for TRiO & Receive Support and Guidance!
    • Did you know that due to the level of professional mentorship, support and services provided by TRiO that TRiO students graduate and meet their academic goals at a very high rate? It’s because TRiO is a community centered on strong values and support. Spots are available in TRiO but are limited. We encourage you to apply to be a member of TRiO if you are interested.
    • Services Offered: Academic Advising, Professional Mentorship & Coaching, Transfer Advising and University Campus Visits, 1:1 Tutoring, Book & Technology Loan, Scholarship search and application support and much more! All services and resources are free of cost. TRiO students succeed at a higher rate, both with graduation and transferring to a 4-year program. Join our program, our community!
    • TRiO is located in Building 6, 1st floor in the Student Success Center
    • Learn more about TRiO Here
    • Spots are limited: Apply Here!
  • CH-CH-CH-CH-CHANGES: CASE and Transfer are merging!
    • You’ll still have the same great services, only combined and with a new name: CASE and the Transfer Center will merge to become Career & Transfer Services! You may have notices the signs and there will be a grand re-opening planned at a future date. The new, combined Career and Transfer Services remain within in the Advising suite located on the bottom floor of building 6. Our grand opening will coincide with Fall Quarter’s Welcome Week events so stay tuned. Check out the new logo that Highline’s WONDERFUL Marketing team created for us:
    • While we merge the websites, Career and Transfer Services will continue to serve students this summer during our campus operation hours. Here is your “cheat sheet” when referring students for Career & Transfer Services:
    • Hours of Operation are Monday-Thursday 8am – 5pm
      • Transfer Services (provided by Renata):
        • Monday: 8am-5pm (in-person)
        • Tuesday: 8am-5pm (in-person)
        • Wednesday: 8am-5pm (virtual*) Zoom drop-ins: 10am-12pm
        • Thursday: 8am-5pm (virtual*)Zoom drop-ins: 10am-12pm
      •  Career Services** (provided by Daniela & Renata)
        • Monday: 8am-5pm (in-person)
        • Tuesday: 8am-5pm (in-person)
        •  Wednesday: 8am-5pm (in-person)
        •  Thursday: 8am-5pm (in-person
        • Email Renata for appointments beyond the drop-in hours
        • **Zoom appointments are only available during Hours of Operation and can be booked online
  • CWU Des Moines offers virtual office hours this summer