Highline College Students

Connect with Highline College

Summer and fall quarter enrollment has begun! See enrollment dates and class schedules.

April 2022 Blog Post

Home/Uncategorized/April 2022 Blog Post
2022-04-05T15:24:22+00:00 Print Page

April 2022 Blog Post

Spring: A Season of Reflection and Celebrating All the Wins!

Hello there,

Happy Spring Quarter!

I should probably introduce myself, right? If we have not had the opportunity to become acquainted, my name is Doris Martinez (She/Her pronouns) and I currently serve as Interim Associate Dean of Student Life. It has been a highlight of my career serving Highline College students and playing a small role in their evolution as change agents in our global community.

Every quarter has its elements that makes it special, but there is something about spring quarter at Highline that is just beautiful. Our campus beams with energy, the flowers are blooming, there is a little more sun and we as a collective are navigating towards the end of the academic year. You may be preparing to graduate and transition from Highline to your next adventure. You may be starting your first quarter or thrilled to be finishing the year off strong. Wherever you are in your journey, you have earned the right to celebrate your success here and now. Being a student on top of everything you balance on a daily basis is not easy. And yet, you strive. Just know that I see you, honor and respect all that you do.

Spring Quarter 2007, I was a student here at Highline preparing to graduate after three long years and starting Seattle University that fall. Fifteen years seem like yesterday, but what I remember from that time is a combination excitement, fear of the unknown and failing in the next steps of my journey. I found myself mourning leaving Highline and the community I found here. My self-doubt was at an all time high despite seeming to have things “figured out”. My final quarter all of sudden became a season of deep reflection of who I was, and because of working through and facing the changes that were coming my way, it gave me the space to pause and celebrate the abundance that I was experiencing unapologetically.

So here are three offerings I have for spring quarter:

Find a favorite space on campus: If you have an opportunity to attend class or stop by Highline this quarter, take time to explore campus. It is full of gems! Whenever I needed a break from studying, I always sat on the large rocks in the lawn between the Student Union and Library to clear my head and receive fresh air. Also, the library is such a wonderful space on campus. If you haven’t checked out the Multicultural Lounge on the second floor, you definitely should. The mural is simply stunning and the plush furniture is perfect for curling up with a good book or socializing.

Connect with A Counselor: Whether you are overwhelmed with areas in your life or simply need someone to talk to, our Counseling Center is a resource on campus that is here for you. Our licensed counselors are student centered and specialize in personal, career and educational counseling. Having someone on campus I could connect with as I was navigating all the changes in my life was transformational in my wellbeing.

Get Involved!: I honestly can say that being involved in clubs and organizations at Highline propelled me into the career that I have today. It provided me a community network and strengthened my leadership skills. Through all the flows of my journey as a student, my friends at the United Latino Association and Black Student Union were my biggest support system. Our club offerings are diverse and the awesome part is that you can also start your own club with four other students.

I know things look a little different this spring quarter. We are navigating a global pandemic, hybrid courses- life has changed in ways we cannot begin to explain in the last couple of years. Despite all that has transpired, here you are, embarking on this new part of your journey. My wish for you this quarter is that you accomplish all the goals you have set for yourself and most importantly- take care of you, your wellness and celebrate all the wins coming your way. You’ve earned them all!

Peace,

Doris Martinez, Interim Associate Dean for Student Life

Important Dates for Student Success

• April 4th, Spring Quarter Begins!
  • April 6th, Last day web registration available for adding classes
  • April 15th, Last day to add a class without a Late Add Petition and late charge, unless otherwise posted in the schedule
  • April 18, Last day to request credit (CR) – No Credit (NC)

Student Services, Resource, and Activity Highlight

• Apply for TRiO & Receive Support and Guidance!
    • Services Offered: Academic Advising, Professional Mentorship & Coaching, Transfer Advising and University Campus Visits, 1:1 Tutoring, Book & Technology Loan, Scholarship search and application support and much more! All services and resources are free of cost. TRiO students succeed at a higher rate, both with graduation and transferring to a 4-year program. Join our program, our community!
    • TRiO is located in Building 6, 1st floor in the Student Success Center
    • Learn more about TRiO Here
    • Spots are limited: Apply Here!
  • Running Start Informational Webinar
  • Todd Beamer HS Dual Credit Webinar
    • Informational session for prospective Running Start students and family members at Todd Beamer HS.
    • April 13 5-6pm, virtual. For more information, connect with Megan Fuhlman.
    • Contact person and information: Megan Fuhlman (mfuhlman@highline.edu)
  • Running Start Senior Workshop
    • Workshop for high school seniors to learn about wrap-up and next steps such as reviewing HS graduation and degree requirements, applying for graduation, transitioning to university or continuing at Highline, and more.
    • April 14 3-4pm, virtual, Zoom link: https://highline.zoom.us/j/3578618248

Highline College COVID-19 Safety

Spring Quarter face mask protocol have been updated. More information can be found on our COVID-19 Webpage.